Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Recipe: 30 Days to Fit: What's for Dinner Tonight? - Asian Sweet & Sour Chicken

That is the question many people ask on a daily basis.  Especially for those on an eating plan like me who have given up the acidic foods such as gluten, dairy and sugar.  What can I feed my family of 8 that is tasty and healthy?

So the next couple of days I'm going to post some of the recipes I've been cooking for my family.  And I have some pretty picky eaters including an ex-orphan from Ukraine.

The first is a take on an Asian dish that we love.  A sort of sweet and sour chicken.

Now I want to warn you that I'm a chef so I don't measure a lot when cooking, only when baking so I'm going to throw some things out there.  The most important thing is taste as you go and add more seasoning.  I also like things on the somewhat spicy side.  AND...I'm cooking for 8 plus having some left over for the next day lunch.  I'm scaling that down here.  This should easily feed 4.

1 pound of organic free range boneless skinless chicken thighs - I like thighs because they tend to have a lot of flavor compared to breasts plus they are less expensive.
Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
Coconut flour for dusting
Coconut oil

1 cup organic brown rice
3 cups organic low sodium chicken stock (I make my own stock - easy peasy)  I'll post the recipe for that one of these day.

1/2 each large dice green, yellow, red bell pepper
1/2 large yellow onion large dice
4 medium carrots, large dice
1 cup pineapple chunks (fresh is best but you can use canned in own juice - no added sugar)

Sauce

1/4 cup Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup pineapple chunks and juice (be sure to use pineapple in own juice, not sweetened)
2 oranges, peeled
Fresh ginger, about 3 inches, peeled
Siracha (hot chili pepper sauce)
Red pepper flakes
1/2 cup raw honey

So to make this dish (is your mouth watering yet?) is pretty simple.

First I put my rice on to cook. Bring your stock to a slight boil (I use home made so it is already seasoned the way I like it.  If you buy store bought you'll want to add some fresh pepper, a few flakes of red pepper, some sea salt and a little thyme).  Add the brown rice and bring back to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.  Be patient and leave the lid on.  The steam is important and when you remove the lid ... well there goes the steam.

Meanwhile sanitize your cutting board with white vinegar and you are ready to chop.  First do all of the veggies.  Why?  Because if you do the chicken first you will have to use two cutting boards, or stop everything you are doing to wash and re-sanitize the board before you can do the veggies.  So do veggies first then do your chicken.

Cut the veggies into large dice.  Pieces should be uniform size in order to cook evenly.  Pieces should be about 1" x 1".  (I should really do a you tube on how easy it is to cut veggies - someday).

Anyway, cut your peppers, carrots and onions and if you have fresh pineapple, cut that too.  Enough for both the chunks and your sauce. 

Then cut your chicken into chunks.  By now you should have a pan on (I use a large cast iron skillet) on medium high heat.  Put about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the pan to heat up.

Spread your chicken over your cutting board, then season with sea salt and pepper then sprinkle on a little coconut flour.  This adds a yummy taste and bit of crisp to your chicken pieces.  Be sure to do both sides.  Chicken doesn't come flavored.

Place chicken in pan and let cook for a few minutes until nicely browned.  Turn and cook on other side.  If you have a lot of chicken, cook in two batches.  Do NOT try to save time by adding globs of chicken to the pan.  You will be disappointed in the result.  Dry, ugly white pieces of chicken instead of juicy and nicely browned chunks of deliciousness.

So now your chicken is done so remove it from the pan and onto a plate covered in paper towel.  This will soak up excess drippings.

In the same pan add a bit more coconut oil if necessary.  Once hot add the carrots, peppers and onions.  Let brown and stir, let brown and stir, let brown and stir.  That brown (caramelization) tastes great so let it have a chance to brown before stirring.  You do not want these veggies soggy so keep your heat medium high and don't over cook.  They should still be slightly crispy.

Remove from heat and add to plate with chicken.  Now to the pan add your pineapple chunks.  You just want these golden brown as it brings out the natural sugars in the pineapples and makes them so delicious.  This will only take a few moments.  Remove them from the heat and add to the holding plate.

In the meantime you can have your sauce going. (I usually start this before I start cooking my chicken so it can start cooking down while I cook everything else).  In a food processor or blender put the oranges, pineapple with juice and ginger.  Be sure to peel your oranges first.  (I know, you are not stupid.  But believe me, someone would ask me about the peel, just to be sure).  Blend or process until smooth.  Then add the rest of the ingredients.  Taste and see if you want to add any more of anything.  If your sauce tastes good now, it will taste good when mixed with your dish.  So taste, add, taste, add, etc until you are happy with it.

IF, and only IF, your oranges are organic you can zest some of the rind before peeling to add to your sauce.  If you oranges are NOT organic do NOT do this.

Put your sauce into a saucepan and put on medium heat.  Let softly bubble until reduced.  Reducing it with time will make it thick without adding thickeners like cornstarch.  

Once everything is cooked now is the time to enjoy.  In your cast iron pan mix together your cooked veggies and pineapple plus the chicken.  Add the reduced sauce and mix thoroughly.  Now plate your rice and dish the chicken mixture on top.

You will wonder why you even go out for Asian when you can make something this good at home.  And no MSG, natural flavorings, processed sugar/starch, etc.  Just good wholesome food.

So make this and then write a comment with your feedback.  I'd love to know how you liked it!

Bon Appetite    Kathe





No comments:

Post a Comment